Businesses That Have Come and Gone
Armistead and Williamson
Williamson and Grantham
John Anderson, Dry Goods
Vaiden Cash Store
R.R. Hawkins, Dry Goods
Vaiden Mercantile Co.
Gay Anderson Gro.
G.W. Gross, Barber
Coleman Palmertree, Barber
W.N. Gaston, Gen. Mdse.
F.N. Hunter, Gen. Mdse.
Bankston and Ringold,
S.E. McConnico, Gen. Mdse.
Zilpah Cain's Store
Carson Thomas, Livery Stable
W.M. Anderson Co.
Ellen Grantham, Florist
Branscom Farmer, Gro.
C.L. Armstrong, Hardware
B.W. ("Si") Holmes, City
W.A. Avery, Gro.
Roscoe Rosamond's Barber Shop
David Ashford's Gro.
Yolles & Schneider, Dry Goods
Miley Bros. Dry Goods
Fred C. Smith's Furniture
S.R. Wright, Gro.
Jack Wright's Gro., Pool Hall
Orin Miley's Tailor/Pressing Shop
J.H. Armstrong, Cotton Buyer
Charley Bennett/P.A. Bennett Gro.
Will Armstrong, Cafe & Gro.
Evie Whisenant, Gro.
Charley Welch, Gro.
Leo Tindall, Gro.
R.E. Lee, Gro.
Lewis Stuart, Cafe
Cooper Curtis, Cafe
W.A. Williams, Variety Store
Fisher & Sanders, Hardware
B.B. Sanders, Cotton Buyer
John L. Fisher, Jr., Gro.
W.A. Applewhite, Service Sta.
J.W. Eades, Sr./Jr., Service Sta. and Lion Oil
Blacksmith Shop -- Read: "The Forge of the
W.M. Caddess Radio & TV Repair
Ralph Shook, Welding Shop
Carter's Grist Mill
L.H. Braswell, Dry Goods,
A.J. Ferguson, Gro.
O.G. Smith, Gro.
B.F. Wiley Motor Co.
G.Y. Lowery, Service Sta., Used Cars
R.W. Eddins, Sr., Service Sta.
Herman Johnson, Service Sta., Shop
L.L. Ferguson, Gro.
Viola Vinson, Gro.
Ernest Gerrish, Welding Shop
Dan Hatcher's Pressing Shop
C.F. Rogers, Meat Market
A.B. Armstrong, Gro.
G.B. Clower Co.
Annie G. Armstrong, Dry Goods & Ins.
Collier's Cafe & Shoe Shop
Service Chevrolet Co.
John Cade, Pressing Shop
Mal Kindal, Shoe Shop
Cliff Price, Pressing Shop
Peyton Randle, Pressing Shop
Carl Austin, Pressing Shop
Noah & Eades Cafe
Ken Noah's Farm Supply
Eva Varnell, Hotel & Cafe
"Bunch" Hambrick, Shoe Shop
Julius Farrish, Gro.
George Sandlin, Cafe
Louis Riley, Cafe
"Fug" Briscoe, Cafe
Leighton Parker, Cafe
Dudley Stewart, Cafe
Ken Ross, Pool Room
Kaigler & Price, Pool Room
L.F. Calhoun, Cafe & Gro.
Dennis Welch, Garage, Washateria, Service Sta., Supermarket
Bud Nixon's Place
D.C. Shivel, Cafe
C.A. Pierce, Sr., Pulpwood
B.F. Wiley, Sawmill Supplies
Cecil Welch, Your Home Builders
R.S. McCorkle, Gro.
Robert Griffin, Cafe
Ruffin's Pastry Shop
Mrs. Ruth Pollard, Gro.
Mrs.Inez Rosamond, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Bona Lynn Rosamond, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Ilene Montague, Beauty Shop
Mildred Bishop, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Roberta Caffey, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Sybil Palmertree, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Ella Ouida Palmertree, Beauty Shop
Mrs. Edith Arrington, Beauty Shop
Mrs. M.L. Boykin, Beauty Shop
Johnny Caffey, Cafe
Ed Davis, Radio & TV Repair
Frank Eades, Gro.
Lawrence Eades, Gro.
John "Gabby" McNamara, Package Store
Andrew Grantham, Drayage
M.T. Watkins, Gro.
William W. Milner, Gro.
Ernest's Pressing Shop
W.K. Anderson's Dry Goods
Grice's Service Sta.
Mann's Service Sta.
Boyles' Service Sta.
Vaiden Auto Parts
Vaiden Car Wash
Calhoun's Service Sta.
Ellis' Service Sta.
Welch's Shongalo Village
Thunder Hill Ranch
W.P. Crook's Gro.Meeks
Lockhart's Barber ShopSmith
Furniture Company (Roy and Ruth Eddins)C.B.
Western AutoWicken's FeedMitchell's
L. Boykin, AttorneyMargaret
G. Anderson, Ins.Hazel
A. Fullilove, Ins.Stanton
Insurance and Investments (Cecil Welch)Maranatha Enterprises (Dennis Welch)Ellis
Mac's Catfish & Steak House
Bailey's Chicken SnackColeman's
Bar-b-queJenkin's Auto PartsWeeks'
GarageArinder's Stop 'n ShopGibson's
Red Bird Service Sta.Mac's
Package StoreGulf Service Sta.Exxon
Queen Restaurant & NightclubJenkins' GroceryVaiden Gin (1)Briscoe's Lion Service StationVaiden Grocery Peeler Lumber Company
The Vaiden, Kopperl,
& Hawkins store was built prior to 1873, and was apparently the first big building
erected in town. It stood until torn down in the 1960s.
On Dec. 17, 1965,
Vaiden's corporate limits were expanded to include
areas south and north. On April 7,
included an area west along Hwy. 35.
Another expansion on Feb. 6,
1973, took in
more area toward the west.
In the 1950s and 1960s, there were numerous Grocery Stores in and
around the downtown Vaiden area. Some of these were: Summer's Grocery;
McCorkle's Grocery, Cearley's Grocery; Welch's
Grocery; Farrish's Grocery; Yates' Grocery; Crook's
Grocery; Smith's Grocery (Mart 35);
Lee's Grocery; Shongalo Village; Fullilove's Grocery; and Piggly
Vaiden’s Businesses in 1976
Page 17 Page 18
The Vaiden Nucleus – 1871
H.C. Williamson was the first editor of the Vaiden
Nucleus, and was elected to the state legislature for two terms. During this
tenure, John Armistead served as the editor, followed by Monroe
McClurg, who became prominent in Mississippi affairs. Mr. McClurg served as a member of the famous 1890 State Constitutional
Convention. He was elected to the state legislature in 1897. He served as Attorney
General during Governor A.H. Longino's
administration from 1900-1904.
The Carroll News -- 1901-1915
Arthur Holman and A.D. Fansler
were two of its editors. Mr. and Mrs. James Sommerville
soon bought this paper, but sold it to the Carrollton Conservative in 1915.
The Carrollton Conservative (later, the
Former Superintendent of Education for Carroll County,
Mr. Charles A. Neal was the first editor. Among others who succeeded him, was
his son, W.D. (Fritz) Neal, and wife, Mildred.
The Medium -- Early 20s
Editor, Blanding Haman, son of prominent
Presbyterian Minister, Dr. T.L. Haman.
The Conservative was the only county
newspaper in existence for many years. The "Vaiden News," written
in this paper, first by Mrs. S.P. Armstrong, also Correspondent for the Carrollton
Conservative, gave much of her life to these papers. Many old-timers
still remember the refreshing news penned by "Miss Lynn," or Mrs.
Armstrong, who was always out gathering news. Some of the other known
Correspondents were: Mrs. T.C. Vaiden, Mrs. Billy Hambrick, Mrs. J.E.
Farrish, Mrs. Rebecca Fullilove, and Mrs. Juanita
Collins Rhine. The entire staff of the Conservative, headed by Sam N. Pitner, Publisher, and C.C. Buchanan, Associate Editor,
was very cooperative with vital coverage of all affairs relating to Vaiden.
of the Vaiden Garden Club
The Vaiden Garden
Club was organized in November, 1950,
and was federated from November, 1951,
through June, 1967,
at which time members voted to discontinue federation and to devote their
club efforts solely to local needs which were most pressing.
Organizational Officers were: President,
Mrs. H.B. Caldwell; Vice-President, Mrs. J.M. Vandiver;
Secretary, Miss Magdalene Armstrong; Treasurer, Mrs. B.F. Wiley; Historian,
Mrs. A.C. Long; Parliamentarian, Mrs. T.C. Vaiden.
Other Charter Members were: Mrs. V.F.
Anderson, Mrs. C.L. Armstrong, Mrs. J.W. Armstrong, Mrs. Weldon Baskin, Mrs.
P.A. Bennett, Mrs. M.L. Boykin, Mrs. C.H. Butt, Mrs. B.P. Cain, Mrs. W.B.
Cross, Mrs. W.R. Cross, Mrs. Roy Eddins, Mrs. G.W.
Griffin, Mrs. R.K. Haydon, Mrs. B.W. Holmes, Mrs. B.C. McDougal, Mrs. F.D.
Prewitt, Mrs. Jamie Rogers, Mrs. J.H. Shands, Mrs.
W.W. Smith, and Mrs. N.L. Threet.
The Objectives of the club during its years
of existence have been: the advancement of gardening, development of home
grounds, furthering town beautification and aiding in the protection of forests,
wildflowers, and birds. Although membership fluctuates, there is an average
of about 25
Past Presidents were: Mrs. H.B. Caldwell,
Mrs. T.C. Vaiden, Mrs. V.F. Anderson, Mrs. H.R. Power, Mrs. Tom Dulin, Mrs. Herbert Johnson, Mrs. Michael Donovan, Mrs.
J.H. Canon, Mrs. Oglan Hambrick,
Mrs. H.S. Hambrick, Mrs. D.D. Fullilove, Sr., Mrs.
John C. Coleman, and Mrs. C.A. Weaver. Regular meetings are held on the
second Tuesday of each month.
The most outstanding accomplishment of the
club in its early years was the securing of the Roadside Park, located 1 1/2 miles north of Vaiden on Highway 51, and having electric lights
installed in it. The rest area has been a source of pleasure to local people,
as well as tourists. Vaiden was deemed a Bird Sanctuary and signs were placed
on Highway 51,
and bird houses were erected on the lawns of members and at the Court House.
The planting and care of shrubs and bulbs on the lawn of the Court House was
an ongoing project of the club. Among other beautification projects sponsored
by the organization, was the planting of bulbs in the Roadside Park and pine
trees in Highway 51 in town. The
Yard of the Month Sign was placed in the yards of club and non-club members
throughout the years.
In June, 1956, the club sponsored the organization of the
West, Mississippi, Garden Club. Other club
activities included: annual Clean-Up and Fix-Up Campaigns; annual tours of Bellingrath Gardens, Wister Gardens, and Mynelle Gardens; a Political Rally on June 28, 1967, at the local Football Stadium, where
food and drinks were sold; garbage can sales in the Summer of 1968, in cooperation with the
Town's Special Clean-up and Sanitation Program and Cook Book sales in 1969. The club assisted the
Town each year in the purchase and mounting of Christmas decorations for the
business district. Contests in the business and residential sections were
held for many years under the sponsorship of the organization.
The Vaiden Garden Club and the Lions Club
co-sponsored the delivery and presentation of gifts to the aged, shut-ins,
and needy in the town and adjoining areas during the Christmas season.
Christmas-time sales of towels and other items for the Blind Institute in
Jackson, Mississippi, as well as flower shows and pilgrimages have been sponsored
during designated seasons. In 1964,
the publication of Birthday and Anniversary Calendars created much interest
among the citizens. In September 1964,
members served lunch to the District Medical Association at the Haman
Memorial Building. In 1974,
through a concerted effort with the Lions Club and the Town leaders, the club
secured metal street markers for the entire town. Work was completed in
the members helped the South Central Bell Telephone Company to place metal
numbers on businesses and residential property throughout the town. These 1974 and 1975 Special Projects were part
of the Urban Renewal Program throughout the town. Another significant project
was the extensive work done toward the restoration and beautification of
monuments and grounds of the Vaiden Cemetery. As a result of these efforts, a
new cyclone fence and gates were installed. In June, 1975, the Star Herald
featured a special article written by Mrs. Rebecca Fullilove
on the Vaiden Cemetery. Another noteworthy and much-needed accomplishment in 1975, was the 2 1/2 mile highway surface widening
overlay, which extends from the South Corporate Limits through the town to
the North City Limits. The project was headed by the Hon. Clarence Pierce and
Mrs.John C. Coleman, to whom the Town and club are
To honor its deceased members, the club
planted a Magnolia tree on the lawn of the Baptist Church in memory of Mrs.
Weldon Baskin, Jr.; on the lawn of the Episcopal Church, in memory of Mrs.
H.B. Caldwell; on the lawn of the Methodist Church, in memory of Mrs. T.C.
Vaiden; and on the lawn of the Presbyterian Church, in memory of Mrs. J.M. Vandiver. The Vaiden Garden Club will forever hold dear
in its heart, the memories of its deceased members and leaders, and their
dedication to the Organization.
Vaiden Garden Club -- 1975-76
Garden Club's Tour of Homes
The year 1973 was an eventful one for the Vaiden Garden
Club. Blessed with an energetic membership dedicated to advancing the
community's cultural and beautification aspects, at the suggestion of the
club president, Mrs. John C. Coleman, the organization voted to sponsot its First Annual Christmas Tour of Homes and
Churches on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, December 8 and 9, from two o'clock until five o'clock. The theme
of the Pilgrimage was "Come Ye to an Early Christmas." Stressing
the Yuletide motif, the six beautifully and appropriately decorated homes on
the Tour, which reflected Antebellum to outstanding Contemporary, created a
vivid atmosphere of the past and present; they were opened by Mr. and Mrs.
Vernon F. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Roy W. Eddins, Mr.
and Mrs. John C. Coleman, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Griffin, Mr. and Mrs. George
W. Tuberville, Jr., and Mr. and Mrs. Charlton A.
With an inspiring sacred decor, the Vaiden
Baptist Church, the St. Clements Episcopal Church, the Vaiden United methodist Church, and the Shongalo
Presbyterian Church shone in the beauty of Christmas Spiritually and were
visited by scores of devout Christians. Climaxing the Tour, was the
delightful afternoon Tea for visitors on December 8, in the spacious home of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Weaver
and the brilliant occasion on December 9,
hosted by Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Tuberville, Jr.
Officials of the Vaiden Garden Club's First Christmas Tour of Homes were:
Mrs. John C. Coleman, President; Mrs. H.R. Power, Vice-President; Mrs.
Herbert Johnson, Secretary and Treasurer.
The prestigious Second Annual "Come Ye
to an Early Christmas" Pilgrimage of homes was held on Saturday and
Sunday afternoons, December 7
and 8, 1974, from two o'clock until five-thirty
o'clock. Again highlighting the charm of aiden's
Antebellum and Contemporary residences resplendent with Christmas
decorations, the six homes hosted on the Tour included the home of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon F.
Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Lampen,
Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Simpson, Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Weaver, Mr. and Mrs. Dennis
Welch, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Yates. Of special historical interest was
the Lampen home,
formerly the Kennedy Plantation. From here in 1861, Captain Thomas B. Kennedy and a
number of Carroll County Volunteers left to defend the Confederacy.
An added attraction of the Pilgrimage was
the lovely Tea for visitors during the afternoons of December 7 and 8, in the attractively-appointed home of
Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Weaver. Due to unavoidable circumstances, the local
churches were unavailable for the Tour. The Garden Club officials for the
Second Oilgrimage were Mrs. C.A. Weaver, President;
Mrs. C.U. Canon, Vice-President; Mrs. Herbert Johnson, Secretary and
Despite the inclemency of the weather for
the First and Second Christmas Tours of Homes, the attendance was most
gratifying. Proceeds from both aided essential town beautification projects.
The Club is deeply indebted to all members and others who contributed their
time and talents to help make these events a success. Special recognition is
given to Mr. John C. Coleman, for his extensive newspaper and radio coverage.
The Third Annual
Vaiden Garden Club Tour of Homes was postponed until Saturday,
April 24, as a
significant part of the Town's Bi-Centennial Commemoration.
A salient feature of this momentous event will be the sale of the Club's
Book, The VAIDEN HERITAGE, with proceeds to be used for further
Sincere appreciation is expressed to the
State Highway Department for the good publicity given to Vaiden in its issue
of Roadway. The articles and pictures will contribute greatly to the
success of the Observance.
Samuel Boaz was the Postmaster of the Shongalo Office when the name was changed to Vaiden on
December 2, 1859. His successor, Samuel C.
Baines, was appointed on January 25,
1860. Following as Postmasters were: B.J. Kopperl, Washington A. Sample,
Edward Pappe, Simon Lichtenstein, Charles Cummings, Samuel M. Smythe, Robert S. Weir, John Armistead, S.R. Bains, William W. Nye, and William H. Farmer. Miss Willie
Kennedy was appointed on December 18,
1894. Her name
was changed by marriage on October 26,
1895, to Mrs.
Willie K. Anderson. She was succeeded on March 16, 1899, by Eva L. Nye. January 30, 1906, Mary E. Cain took over for the
longest tenure at this post office. William W. Milner was appointed on
January 3, 1935; Frances Wright Jordan on
August 31, 1950; Mrs. Allie B. Collins on
September 14, 1951; and John W. Milner on
September 11, 1960.
Some of the mail carriers were Bryant Scott,
Weldon Baskin, the Wiltshire boys, Sam Seales, Tom Dulin, Ernest Randle, C.M. Trotter, Joe F. Herring, J.H. Canon,
C.D. Simpson, Wm. B. Sanders, Billy Hambrick (substitute), and Odell Lenard
(substitute). Clerks in 1976
were Frances Jordan Welch and Patricia Goss Bruce.
The Post Office was located in many
different buildings during the past years. Of course no one now living
remembers where it was when it was the Shongalo
office. Postmasters usually had a small corner of a store for their offices.
Mrs. Willie Anderson had the office in the old Vaiden Hotel that stood where
the J.G. Fullilove building was located. The hotel
burned and the post office was moved to a building on the north end of town
near the Episcopal Church. In 1906,
Miss Mary (Mollie) Cain moved it to the south end of Front Street between the
Merchants' and Farmers' Bank and the Vaiden Mercantile Co. It remained in
that location until June 19,
1975, when it
moved into a new building
located on Highway 51
South -- nearly 116
years after the first office named "Vaiden" came into existence and
138 years after
the first Post Office in this vicinity.
Courtesy of Mark Shands -- August, 2006.
For many years the only library Vaiden knew
was in a small, old frame building located just west of the Courthouse and across
from the Cain property. But in August, 1970, many citizens became interested in the
possibility of Carroll County, Vaiden and Carrollton, joining the Regional
Library System which was already composed of four counties; Attala, leake, Montgomery, and Winston. The Carroll County
Supervisors were approached and very willingly agreed to join the Region on a
trial basis for a year and, if successful, would join for another year. In
the Library was formerly opened at quarters that was
formerly the old Mayor's Office adjacent to the Fire Station and behind the
old Vaiden Post Office Building. It remained there until 1976, when the cramped space
and availability of funds from a law passed by the State Legislature
allocating several hundred thousand dollars for library construction in which
any participating library would become eligible on a first come, dirst-served basis.
From this law, Carroll County became
eligible to receive approximately $130,000
for library construction to be matched with local funds. Our county and town officials very
willingly explored the possibilities of obtaining these funds, and, on
December 29, 1975, three lots of Mr. J.T.
Allen's adjacent to the Vaiden Courthouse was
purchased for the new site for a library in
Library Opening – 1977
Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4
Photo 5 Photo 6 Photo 7 Photo 8
Photo 9 Photo 10 Photo 11 Photo 12
Courtesy of Sharon Tollison
Conservation Office -- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
The first work in soil conservation was to
correct erosion and provide adequate water supply for farms. This was done by
providing leadership in making ponds and terracing. The planting of pine and
other seedlings have proven profitable in tree farming. The first man
assigned to soil conservation here was Mr. Alva Carl
Long. He came here in September, 1945. Those who assisted him were: W.L.
"Shorty" Randle, Jamie Rogers, the Rev. N.L. Threet,
Mr. Long died while on duty on a farm near
Coila on September 11,
1961. His wife
Jewel and children, Carl, Louise and Mary Ann stayed in Vaiden. The children
graduated from Mississippi State University. Carl was employed by U.S. Steel
and lived in Pittsburg, PA. Louise married Sid Lishman
and lived in Huntsville, Alabama. Mary Ann became a Librarian at Hinds Jr.
College in Jackson, MS. Mr. Long was followed by mr Hubert Britt, who was later transferred. The Soil
Conservation Office was moved to Carrollton.
County Welfare Department
The current building for the Carroll County Welfare Department
(Carroll County Department of Human Services) was built on land from the
acquisition of the Cain property north of the courthouse, around the same
time as the plans for the library were being made. Vaiden has had a Welfare Office for a
number of years, and staff included Mrs. Mattie Applewhite,
Mrs. Rebecca Fullilove, and Mr. C.U. Cannon. In 1976, the staff included George Tuberville, Jr., Director, Miss Arice
Parker, Mrs. E.J. Young, Mrs. R.S. McCorkle, and Mrs. Bobby Oliver.
Order of the Eastern Star, No. 271
1926 – 1976
Dispensation having been granted by a Worthy
Grand Patron, W.H. Carter, for a Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star
at Vaiden, Mississippi, Mrs. Effie M. Neal of Carrollton, Chapter No, 78, Deputy for Worthy Grand
Patron, W.H. Carter, with Mr. C.A. Neal of Carrollton Chapter as Grand
Secretary and Marshal, and Mr. L.J. Hand od West Chapter No. 119 as Chaplain, assisted by
officers of West Chapter, met in the Masonic Hall at Vaiden, Mississippi,
Friday evening, April 2,
instituted the Virginia Kennedy Chapter, under Dispensation, with the
following Charter Members present: Mrs. Eleanor Wright Fullilove,
Mrs. Susie Huffman Miley, Mrs. Lynn Stone Armstrong, Mrs. Sallie Mae Smith
Boykin, Mrs. Mary Pender Blanton, Miss Evie Whisenant, Mrs. Johnnie Bennett Nelms,
Mrs. Lorine Colmery
Armstrong, Miss Alice Herring, Mrs. Allie B. Randle Collins, Mrs. Emma Ellis
Brock, Mrs. Ethel Strahan Stephens, Mrs. Byrd Kinchloe Caldwell, Mrs. Pearl Arnold Applewhite,
Mrs. Mattie Collins Applewhite, Mrs. Allie Word Boyette, Mrs. Lula Armstrong Flowers, Mrs. Pearl Bradford
Alexander, Dr. J.P.T. Stephens, Mr. J.H. Canon, Mr. R.L. Rosamond, Mr. E.L.
Blanton, Mr. J.G. Fullilove, Mr. M.L. Boykin, and
Mr. Dan Stone.
The visitors present were: Mrs. Lynn Brock
Johnson and Mrs. Mattie Crews of Durant Chapter No. 113. Miss Lovie
Wright of Inverness Chapter No. 158,
Mrs. Bertha Hunt of Courtland Chapter No. 134, Mrs. Josie M. Rosamond of Wesley Chapter No. 164, Mrs. Annie A Haman, Jessie
Lena Gordin, Ada Brock, Clara Brock, Kate Brock,
Lena Hand, Sallie Craft, Lynn Tate, Mary Musselwhite,
Della Brister, Sallie Ida Thomas, Kate Moore,
Fannie Gamblin, Blanche Ellard,
and Oscar Thomas of West Chapter.
The following officers were appointed for
the Chapter, name of which had been selected as VIRGINIA KENNEDY CHAPTER:
Matron: Mrs. Allie Word Boyette; Patron: Dr. J.P.T.
Stephens; Associate Matron: Mrs. Byrd Kinchloe
Caldwell; Associate Patron: (did not have); Secretary: Mr. J.H. Canon;
Treasurer: Mrs. Ethel Strahan Stephens;
Conductress: Mrs. Pearl Bradford Alexander; Associate Conductress: Mrs. Lynn
Stone Armstrong; Chaplain: Mrs. Emma Ellis Brock; Marshal: Mr. E.L. Blanton;
Organist: Mrs. Susie Huffman Miley; Adah: Miss Evie Whisenant; Ruth: Mrs.
Sallie Mae Smith Boykin; Esther: Mrs. Pearl Arnold Applewhite;
Martha: Mrs. Mattie Collins Applewhite; Electa: Miss Alice Herring; Warder: Mrs. Mary Pender
Blanton; Sentinel: Mr. Dan Stone
The members of the West Chapter initiated
the newly-appointed officers. The committee named to draft the By-Laws was:
Mr. Dan Stone, Mrs. Lula A. Flowers, and Mrs. Byrd K. Caldwell. Regular
meeting nights were named for the second and fourth Monday nights until World
War II. Due to the shortage of gasoline, second Monday night only was
designated except for special meetings.
On August 8, 1926,
Mrs. Willie Kennedy Anderson, daughter of Mrs. Virginia Kennedy, was received
into the Order, having been the Chapter's first Petitioner. Miss Lurlene Stephens and Miss Margie Canon were the next
Virginia Kennedy Chapter, No. 271, was constituted at a
Special Meeting on the afternoon of May 12, 1926,
by Grand Matron, Mrs. Nellie McGowan of Hattiesburg Chapter No. 20, with the assistance of Mrs.
Effie M. Neal, District Deputy Grand Matron of Carrollton Chapter. On June 14, 1926, the Charter was purchased from the
Grand Chapter, as well as all the necessary paraphernalia.
Miss Lovie Wright
and Mrs. Lynn Brock Johnson were the two first Affiliates. Mrs. Lynn Stone
Armstrong was appointed as the first delegate to Grand Chapter April 12, 1926. The Chapter hosted its first School
of Instruction on February 5,
Nellie McGowan served as Grand Matron and Mrs. Effie Neal as District Deputy
Mrs. Virginia Kennedy,
for whom the Chapter was named, was initiated into the Order on July 18, 1927, at the age of 88. She was priviledged
to attend several meetings prior to her death on September 18, 1936.
During the first ten years of its existence,
the Chapter's musical instruments were two victrolas,
which remained the property of the membership until March, 1940, at which time they were
sold and replaced with a second-hand piano. In 1972, the members honored the memory of
their beloved sister, Thelma Turner Canon, by replacing their old piano with
a new one, which graces the Hall with a brass plaque bearing her name.
Numerous honors have been bestowed upon the
Chapter during its years of service. It has the distinction of being and
having been one of the outstanding Chapters of its size in the State. Members
have served as District Deputy Grand Matron; Grand Representative, District
Chairmen of Grand Chapter Committees, Pages, Section Chairmen, and Grand
Guards at Grand Chapter Sessions. Some have served in the Grand Choir, as
Grand Organist and Grand Pianist. Some of the members hold Certificates of
proficiency, which are awarded by the Grand Chapter.
Throughout the lifetime of the Chapter,
contributions have been made annually to many worthy causes, namely Masonic
and O.E.S.; Homes for girls and boys; Crippled Children's Home; Old Ladies
Home; Cancer Research; International Temple Fund; ESTARL; and Rob Morris
Little Red Schoolhouse O.E.S. Shrine. Many local charities have been
responded to also.
Past Matrons and Patrons are: Past Matrons:
Margaret Anderson, Hilda Bennett, Louise Compton, Kate Cross, Stelloise Eades Basinger, Daisy McCorkle, Arice
Parker, Robye Pullen, Inez C. Rosamond, Lucye Trotter, Susie M. Tucker, Elizabeth Wilson, Lura Bell Wilson, Estelle Wiltshire, and Pearlie Winters.
Past Patrons: Vernon Anderson, Richmond Brock, C.U. Canon, Claude Hatcher,
Edward Ladell Pullen, Thomas Ward, and Emmett
Special Recognition was given to Mrs. Allie
Word Boyette, first Matron of the Chapter. Mrs.
Luta Moore Canon, who affiliated with the Chapter April 27, 1931, presented the Luta Canon Worthy
Matron's Jewel to the Order in 1939.
Mrs. Margaret Gray Anderson was the First Worthy Matron to have the privilege
of wearing it. Every Matron has worn it with pride and gratitude since its
The family of Dr. and Mrs. J.P.T. Stephens
presented a beautiful white altar Bible to the Chapter on April 16, 1965, in memory of their parents. In
Mrs. Lurlene Stephens Fullilove,
a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Stephens, gave the Fullilove
Jewel in memory of her husband, Mr. D.D. Fullilove,
Jr., to be worn by each Patron while in office. The Virginia kennedy Chapter is deeply grateful for these gifts of
Mrs. J.C. McWhorter presented a nice U.S.
Flag to the Chapter in memory of her husband, who passed away October 17, 1968. The members express sincere
appreciation to her and her family for this gift of love and Patriotism.
Retiring Matrons and Patrons, as well as
other members, have given many appropriate and useful remembrances to the
Chapter. The true or real worth of each is inestimable regardless of size or
monetary value. The spirit in which they were given makes them priceless.
This record of the Virginia Kennedy Chapter
of the Eastern Star, is dedicated in Loving memory
to Mrs. Virginia Whitehead Kennedy and her daughter, Mrs. Willie Kennedy
Anderson, who were "Fairest among thousands, altogether lovely."
Clinton Lodge No. 84
Along with the churches, Masonry has had an
important role in the building of Vaiden. Application for a Charter for a
Lodge at Shongalo was requested September 25, 1846, and DeWitt Dlinton
Lodge No. 84F. and
A.M. was organized about the same time. It was not until February 17, 1847, that the Charter was granted from
the Grand Lodge of Mississippi at Natchez. Grand Master Henry S. Tappan and
Grand Secretary William P. Mellon signed the Charter.
Lodge adopted the By-Laws of Carrollton Lodge No. 36 F.
and A.M. until they could draft their own Constitution and By-Laws. On February
6, 1847, DeWitt Clinton Lodge
adopted their own By-Laws. The first officers were:
William H. Ellington, Worshipful Master; Thomas C. Harris. Senior Warden;
Benjamin E. Norris, Junior Warden; Peter Gibert,
Secretary; Samuel I. Brown, Treasurer by Proxy; Benjamin F. Harper, Senior
Deacon; William T. Cain, Junior Deacon; Samuel G. Walker, Tyler. Charter
members were: W.H. Ellington, Thomas C. Harris. Benjamin E. Norris, Samuel G.
Walker, Peter Gibert, B.F. Harper, W.D. Cain, S.I.
Brown, Charles Koperel, Nathaniel Wells, W.C. Lovein, P. Lowery, Z. Blackman, R.A. Smith, John A.
McBride, A.A. Brooks, A.B. Oldham, and W.G. Goss.
Meeting time for the Lodge was on the
Saturday preceding the full moon of each and every month at 9:00 a.m. from the 25th of March to the 25th of September and at 10:00 a.m. from the 25th of September to the 25th of March, also on the eves
preceding the 24th
of June and the 27th
of December at candle lighting. The records do not make it clear as to where
the meetings were held at Shongalo, but there
seemed to be an interest in a building owned jointly with the Quitman Lodge
Odd Fellows and Shongalo Royal Arch Chapter. On
December 29, 1850, there was a celebration
of the anniversary of St. John, the Evangelist, with a public procession being
formed and moved to the Presbyterian Church where the Hall of DeWitt Clinton
Lodge was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies.
Mention is made of an interest in Richland
Academy and the second story of the Female Academy at Shongalo.
In 1854, the
Masons ordered 50
copies of The Prohibitionist, a Temperance paper published at Albany,
New York, to be distributed in the community. In 1859, there was an interest in moving the
Hall to the new town of Vaiden, and the last meeting of the Lodge at Shongalo was held December 26, 1859.
The Lodge was then moved to Vaiden and, on
May 5, 1860, the first meeting was
held in the new town. The same year, the Lodge donated their interest in the
second story of the Female Academy to the Cause of Education and their interest
in the second story of the Hopewell Presbyterian Church Building, to the
Evidently the Lodge Hall burned sometime
between June and November in the year 1873 and the meetings were then held in the
Courthouse until May, 1875,
when a new building was ready for occupancy. Fortunately, all early records
were saved from the fire and remained in good condition. Around July 6, 1889, the Masons began meeting on the
second floor of the Presbyterian
Church at Vaiden, and remained there. The Hall originally was
jointly owned by the Odd Fellows, but the Odd Fellows are no longer active.
In 1926, the
Virginia Kennedy Chapter No. 271,
Order of the Eastern Star, was chartered and shared the use of the Masonic Hall
with the Lodge.
the Superintendent of Education for Carroll County became very interested in the
Home Demonstration work started in Mississippi by Miss Susie V. Powell
earlier that year. The work was started in Lincoln and Copiah Counties and
was largely worked through the schools. Superintendent Charles A. Neal
corresponded during that summer with Miss Powell about starting the work in
Carroll County. She made a tour of the schools that fall, taking an entire
week, travelling by horse and buggy. This tour proved very successful.
Teachers, pupils, and Patrons were enthusiastic and lauded Miss Powell, and
the work was a great success.
One night of Miss Powell's tour was spent in
the home of Mrs. Fannie Hemphill (later Mrs. Charles F. Duke). Mrs. Hemphill
was so enthusiastic about the work that Miss Powell selected her as the
County Agent of Carroll County. She proved to be a very good choice as she
gave her time and talents to the work in all sections of the county and soon
had a large number of clubs organized and doing good work. Every phase of
rural homemaking was covered, showing the newest and best methods for doing
Following Mrs. Hemphill as county agents
were: Miss Sarah Craig, Miss E.V. Brown, Mrs. Nelliw
Mae Mahon, Miss Maybelle Gray, Miss Forrest Turnipseed, Miss Grace Kellum, Miss Mattie Wise Garnett, Miss helen
Fair Hunter, Miss Rosalyn Brisco, Miss Joyce
Cleveland, Miss Laquita J. Bell, and Mrs. Bervil Watson.
Although no records are available to verify,
it is believed that the Vaiden Homemakers Club was organized that first year.
The membership grew and the Club existed until 1950, when they changed their name from
Vaiden Homemakers Club to Vaiden Garden Club. The first membership roll was
not obtainable, but the roll for their last meeting year was as follows: Mrs.
Jessie Armstrong, Mrs. S.P. Armstrong, Mrs. C.L. Armstrong, Mrs. Vernon
Anderson, Miss Lena Armstrong, Mrs. P.A. Bennett, Mrs. Weldon Baskin, Mrs.
W.L. Boykin, Mrs. Vaughn Campbell, Mrs. Bob Dulin,
Miss Evelyn Eades, Miss Grace Elliott, Mrs. Vince
Gee, Miss Mary Haman, Mrs. Claude Hatcher, Mrs. Dan Hatcher, Mrs. Joseph
Herring, Mrs. B.W. Holmes, Mrs. J.B. Haman, Mrs. L.H. Hawkins, Mrs. A.C.
Long, Mrs. C. McDougal, Mrs. Clarence Pierce, Mrs. Jim Pollard, Mrs. F.D.
Prewitt, Mrs. E.G. Randle, Mrs. Lloyd Rogers, Mrs. Walter Smith, Mrs Bernhard Sanders, Mrs. John Vandiver,
Mrs. M.T. Watkins, Mrs. R.S. McCorkle, Mrs. Elizabeth Kelly, Mrs. Taylor
Everett, Mrs. Sam Moses, Mrs. Jamie Rogers, Mrs. Hattie Ingram, and Mrs. N.L.
Meetings, demonstrations and exhibits were
also held in the Carrollton Community Center, a modern log structure, which
is still in existence today.
existed a gathering of children from Vaiden and the surrounding communities
called the Vaiden Sunbeams. The Sunbeam organization was the first of the
Women's Missionary Union's missions organization for
children. Mrs. Wilson
(Louise) Caddess and Mrs. Wallace (Bonnie) Welch were able leaders
in the organization, which met after school once or twice a month in the Vaiden Baptist Church Educational
Building, to provide music, guidance and teach the children the
meaning of responsibility during their young years. Many activities were planned by the
leaders, including the preparation and delivery of fruit baskets,
linens, and other needed items at during the Christmas holidays to the
Poorhouse on Highway 82,
west of Carrollton, a visit to the American Broadcasting Affiliate, WABG
Television Station, in Greenwood to appear on the local afternoon cartoon
show -- which would invite children as an audience during the broadcast,
birthday parties for the members, creative workshops, and hosts of other
activities to teach and entertain the youngsters. Many children from the area
were members and enjoyed each other's companionship, away from the
schoolyard. In 1970,
the "Sunbeams" changed their name to "Mission Friends."
The current Mission Friends is an organization for preschoolers, from birth
to first grade, that teaches the concept of
missions. The basic objective of this organization is to involve preschoolers
and their families in missions activities in
developmentally appropriate ways.
Songs of the Sunbeams
Special Thanks to Betsy
Lowery, Archivist of the Woman's Missionary Union, Southern Baptist
Be a Little Sunbeam was the official
Sunbeam Hymn, at least from 1918
The hymn was mentioned and sheet music for it was offered for sale in the 1918-1919 WMU Year Book (p.39). It was last mentioned in
the Year Book for 1956-1957 (p.1). In the 1949 Year Book (p.83), a Sunbeam Watchword Song -- Light
of the World (words by Helen Sneed Parsons, music by Kathryn Sneed Beck)
was substituted for the hymn. IN 1950
(Year Book p.13),
both the hymn and the watchword song were featured. From 1951 (Year Book, p.90) through 1956 (Year Book, p.104), Woman's Missionary Union
offered for sale sheet music for these two plus two others: I'll Be a
Sunbeam, and A Sunbeam All for Jesus. From 1934 (Year Book p.74), for several years, Year
Books list collections such as Missionary Songs and Hymns for Children.
Since these Year Books are unavailable, the list of songs in them is unknown
at this time. Below are words to I'll Be a Sunbeam (considered by many
former Sunbeam members to have been the "Sunbeam Song") and Be a
Little Sunbeam -- adapted from a summary article prepared by Eljee Bentley, former WMU Archivist, in 1984.
1. Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, To
shine for Him each day;
In ev'ry way try to please Him, At home, at school,
CHORUS: A Sunbeam, a Sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam;
A Sunbeam, a Sunbeam, I'll be a Sunbeam for Him.
2. Jesus wants me to be loving, And kind
to all I see;
Showing how pleasant and happy, His little ones can be.
3. I will ask Jesus to help me, To keep
my heart from sin;
Ever reflecting His goodness, And always shine for Him.
4. I'll be a Sunbeam for Jesus, I can if
I but try;
Serving Him moment by moment, then live with Him on high.
Copyright 1900; Renewal 1928. Words by Nellie
Talbot, Music by E.O. Excell
Be a Little Sunbeam
1. Be a little Sunbeam, ev'rywhere you go;
Help to drive the darkness, from this world below;
You will see the shadows, swiftly flee away,
If you'll be a Sunbeam every day.
CHORUS: Be a little Sunbeam, tho' your light be small,
Let its gleam of beauty, o'er the darkness fall;
You will see the shadows, swiftly flee away,
If you'll be a Sunbeam ev'ry day.
2. Be a little Sunbeam, ev'rywhere you go;
Shine, O shine for Jesus, with a radiant glow;
Little ones may help this, dark world to illume,
Sending golden sunshine thro' the gloom.
3. Be a little Sunbeam, shining bright
Someone may be wand'ring, in the darkness near;
You may help to scatter, shadows of the night,
Leading unto Christ who is the Light.
Copyright 1906; Words by Alice Jean Cleator, Music by Grant Colfax Tullar
History of the Sunbeams
Used With Permission
WMU Celebrates Centennial of
Promoting Preschool Ministry by Teresa Dickens
Birmingham, Alabama, 1986 -- The dream of a mother
and young pastor in 1886
to create an avenue to instill in children a love for missions, is being
celebrated this year, as Woman's Missionary Union marks its 100th year of coordinating such
The mother, Anna Louise Elsom,
taught the "infant class" -- children ages
four through thirteen -- at Fairmont Baptist Church in Nelson County,
Virginia. She called the class "Sunbeams," because the sunshine
illuminated and warmed the corner of the church where she taught the
children. The pastor, George Braxton Taylor, was the answer to Elsom's prayer for someone to come to Fairmont who knew
missions and would help her start a missionary group for children. Taylor,
the son of early Southern Baptist missionaries to Italy and nephew of the
first secretary of the Foreigh Mission Board, had a
heart for missions and was willing to help Elsom
achieve her dream.
Elsom and Taylor started the first Sunbeam Band at
Fairmont Church. Elsom taught the class, while
Taylor developed the curriculum and handled the administration of the group. membership in the band required an initiation fee of one
penny, followed by a contribution of one penny a month, all of which went to
support missions. Historical documents note that Taylor insisted that the
children earn the money they contributed. Most of the children earned their
money by selling eggs and even dedicated the chickens to the cause by naming
them after missionaries.
By early 1887, Taylor had won the endorsement of the
Foreign Mission Board and began promoting the Sunbeam Band movement through
denominational papers. In the March 1887
issue of the "Religious Herald," Taylor explained his philosophy of
the Sunbeam Band. "The Sunbeam movement was not altogether to do things
for children but that children might do things for others and for
Jesus," Taylor wrote. "Not only can children receive, they can gice. They can do their part in sending far and wide the
story of Jesus. They do not need to wait until they are men and women to know
the romance of modern missions."
Taylor's words fell on fertile ground. By 1889, "Cousin
George," as he came to be known, was corresponding with 284 Sunbeam Bands from Virginia
to Texas, with membership of more than 8,000.
The financial contribution of the bands was also significant, growing from $1,582
in the first year to $2,179 during
the second year. Tayloe managed the Sunbeam
movement until 1896
when he, in agreement with the Foreign Mission Board, relinquished the task
to the WMU. This was a natural transition in leadership since the two
movements had a common cause and Taylor had known Annie Armstrong,
corresponding secretary of the WMU, since his seminary days.
Under WMU's leadership, the focus of
Sunbeams eventually shifted away from fund-raising to learning about
missions. The curriculum included prayer, stewardship, community missions,
telling others about Jesus, and study. The age span also changed, shrinking
first to children eight and under. In 1942, preschool Sunbeams were separated from
school-age children and divided again by 1956, when WMU began promoting nursery and
beginner Sunbeam Bands. The most sweeping change for the preschool missions organization came between 1964 and 1970, when WMU and other
Southern Baptist Convention agencies adapted their programs to follow a
unified grouping/grading plan. The changes prompted WMU to introduce new
organizational names and lines of operation, along with new periodicals for
each age level.
On October 1, 1970,
Sunbeams became Mission Friends, and leaders began receiving a new magazine
called "Start." IN 1978,
WMU added a leaflet for Mission Friends called "Share," and in 1995, WMU began promoting a
class for parents and Mission Friends. Today, Mission Friends number slightly
less than 170,000.
. . . .
The past 100 years have brought many changes in missions
programs for preschoolers, but leaders today share a common dream with Elsom and Taylor -- to instill in children a love for
missions. "Today's child needs to learn, to pray, to give and to do
missions more than ever before so that they will automatically develop a
missions lifestyle," said Kathy Burns, preschool consultant for WMU. "It's
true that as preschoolers are involved in consistent patterns of helping
others, they will recognize their own ability to reach beyond themselves to
touch others." "I'm thankful for those faithful men and women that
have gone before us," she remarked. "They ran the race set before
them and held high a torch for all to see. I pray that we will continue to be
found faithful in passing the torch to today's preschoolers and to all future
generations," she concluded, referencing Psalm 22:30, "Our children too shall serve
Him, they shall hear from us about the wonders of the Lord."
History of Mission Friends -- A
Note: Although this second account of the Sunbeams/Mission
Friends contains virtually identical information to the preceding one, this
writer felt the importance of leaving it unedited, since it was from compiled
from the same history, but different sources.
Making a Difference
In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains
of Virginia is the little Fairmont Baptist Church," began "Cousin
George" (George Braxton Taylor). "Here years ago there was a Sunday
School class of little folks that had the name of 'Sunbeams.' They met in a
corner not cut off from the other classes by curtains and having neither
organ, blackboard, not little chairs but they did have a noble teacher. She
had big, dark, lustrous eyes and, better still, a loving heart and winsome
ways with children. This teacher was Mrs. Anna Louise Elsom,
a cultured, deeply pious, lovely woman of strong character. From her home two
miles away she came, Sunday after Sunday, to meet and greet and teach her
These were the words used by George Braxton
Taylor to describe the beginning of the Sunbeam Band. Missions
education for preschoolers dates back to 1886 when Anna Louise Elsom
was the teacher of the "infant class." She prayed that God would
send someone to help her teach the boys and girls about missions. Taylor,
with a "heart all aglow with a fire for missions," came right from
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville to become the new pastor
for the Fairmont Baptist Church.
Taylor was the son of missionaries to Italy.
He began telling mission stories to the children once a month. They organized
the children and established an initiation fee of one penny, followed by one
penny a month. He insisted that the boys and girls earn their money. Most of
the children in this rural area earned their money by selling eggs. They
named their hens after missionaries.
In just a few months, Taylor gained the
endorsement of the Foreign Mission Board and spoke to children all across the
South through denominational papers. By 1889, Taylor was corresponding with 284 Sunbeam Bands with over 8,000
members. It soon became evident that Sunbeams was growing too rapidly for one
man to handle. With the consent of the Foreign Mission Board, Women's
Missionary Union adopted the Sunbeams in 1896. As the women began to plan for Sunbeams, the
focus was taken off fund-raising and was shifted to learning about missions.
Preschoolers were always included in
Sunbeams. They were separated from school-age children in 1942, and by 1956 WMU promoted Nursery and
Beginner Sunbeam Bands.
Next, a new grouping/grading plan was
adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention. WMU, along with either SBC
program organizations, planned and made these changes between 1964 and 1970. Preschoolers in WMU
emerged from that time of change with a new name and a new look. Instead of
Sunbeams, they were called Mission Friends. Mission Friends leaders had a new
magazine called Start. In 1978,
Mission Friends gained their own take-home leaflet called Share.
Now, after years of learning how
preschoolers grow and develop, babies through pre/first and their parents
participate in Mission Friends classes in many settings. Changes have taken
place in missions programs for preschoolers over the years, but the focus is
still the same -- missions.
Brownline Homemakers Club
The Brownline Home
Demonstration Club met for its organizational meeting in the fall of 1954
in the home of Mrs. Marion McCorkle. The other charter
members were: Mrs. A.J. Ferguson, Mrs. Carl Briscoe (later, Mrs. E.L.
Pullen), Mrs. Otto Palmertree, and Mrs. G.M.
Rosamond. Meetings were always held on the third Thursday of each month.
For the first meeting, the members learned
to do machine embroidery. The second meeting featured Crayola embroidery.
Every topic of interest to homemakers was given throughout the years and many
county awards have been given to the Brownline
members for their skills. As of 1976,
three of the charter members were still active members. They were: Mrs.
Ferguson, Mrs. Pullen, and Mrs. Rosamond. Other members at that time
included: Mrs. Mark Haven, president; Mrs. Billy Sanders, Vice-President,
Mrs. Jamie Rodgers, Secretary and Treasurer, and Mrs. Larry Strayer, Mrs. Loyd Strayer, Mrs. J.E. Farrish, Mrs. John C. Calhoun,
Mrs. W.J. Bufkin, Mrs. Oglan
Hambrick, Mrs. Hubert Hambrick, Mrs. C.A. Weaver,
Miss Charleen Weaver, Mrs. Dennis Dean, Mrs. M.M.
Jones, Mrs. Theodore Williams, Mrs. O.C. Caldwell, Mrs. Vernon Welch, Mrs.
Albert Welch, Mrs. Robbie Rucker, Mrs. Grady Summers, Mrs. G.W. Tuberville, Sr., and Mrs. Rick Lampen.
The Brownline Club
were crusaders for many years in both the Heart Fund
and the Cancer Drives for Vaiden. Each month, gifts were taken to the sick
and/or shut-ins. Fruit baskets were prepared and delivered to these groups
each Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Each of the members were very
civic-minded and had diversified interests.
of the American Revolution
While Vaiden had no Chapter of the D.A.R.'s,
some Vaiden residents belonged to the Winona Chapter. They were: Frances
Wright Shivel, Regent; Alice Herring Pierce,
Melanie Sanders King, and Jayne Lowery.
Combining vision with a realistic approach
to effect better community progress, a group of concerned businessmen met and
resolved the issue by reactivating the Vaiden Lions Club on Monday night,
October 30, 1972.
After careful consideration, the final vote
revealed the following elected officials: George W. Tuberville,
Jr., President; Ralph Self, 1st
Vice-President; Frank Stanton, 2nd
Vice-President; Collins Melton, Secretary-Treasurer, and Luther Gilmer and
Herman W. Welch, Directors. Other men completing the Charter Membership Role
were: Joe Burrell, Charles Ellis, L.R. McDaniel, Rev. Nelson Wade, B.F.
Wiley, Dennis Welch, Wallace Welch, and Bob Williams.
small population, the Club experienced an astounding growth by obtaining 12 new members since mid-1974, namely: John C. Coleman,
Ernest Downs, Rev. Claude Gamble, James Gerrish,
Hubert Hambrick, Claude Hatcher, Dr. H.R. Power,
Ralph Spratling, Jim Terry, Tommy Thornton, C.A.
Weaver, Cecil Welch, and Vernon Welch. Reports indicated that five prospects
evinced interest in joining the club by 1976.
With unity in stressing object number three
of the International Association of Lions Clubs, which is to advance the
civic, cultural, social, or moral welfare of the community, its members
either completed or worked on major programs in this category.
During 1974, the Lions Club and the Town of Vaiden, united to provide the necessary financial
assistance for the Vaiden Garden Club, to erect all new, white-on-blue metal street signs. on every thoroughfare in the corporate limits. This
project helped afford easy access to all locations, thereby aiding delivery services
The Club's financial status was improved by
the sale of a bale of cotton, a valuable engraved shotgun, and light bulbs.
Soliciting reworkable glasses for the Mississippi
Lions' Eye Bank, and providing prescription glasses and eye treatment for
several local people during 1974-1975, added extra pleasure to
the fulfillment of its motto, "We Serve."
future endeavors included plans for a Vaiden Community Club House as a focal
meeting place for various events. The proposed project plans included a
Little League Ball Park, tennis courts, a swimming pool, a large lake stocked
with fish and the possibility of a golf course, all of which would provide
wholesome recreation and Christian fellowship.
On October 16, 1975,
the entire club witnessed a heart-rending program conducted by Lions J.E.
Miller and Danny Van Zant of Carthage, Mississippi.
Listening to young Lion Van Zant tell the touching
story of how his lost eyesight was restored through medical assistance
provided by the Mississippi Lions Eye Bank, each and every member wiped away
tears, and felt proud to be a part of true Lionism,
which renders humanitarian efforts. Thanks were extended to Lion Miller, who
brought the program to the Lions members.
Entering America's Bicentennial Year, the
members pledged further and better religious, civic, social, and political
leadership, thus perpetuating the cherished principles of real Lionism.
With deep appreciation, the Lions
acknowledged the publicity given the Club's activities by the Conservative
newspaper, and radio station WONA of Winona.
Lions Officials for the 1976 year included: L.R.
McDaniel, President; Frank Stanton, 1st
Vice-President; Herman W. Welch, 2nd
Vice-President; James Gerrish, 3rd Vice-President; and George W. Tuberville, Jr., Secretary-Treasurer. Directors were:
John C. Coleman, Luther Gilmer, and Ralph Self.
The Lions offered a tribute to the late
Lion, B.F. Wiley, who was three-times Mayor of Vaiden, a Colonel on three
Mississippi Governors' Staffs, a guiding light of the Club, a devout
Presbyterian churchman, and a steadfast Christian leader in the field of
politics and industry. He Has Gone Home to God, Who Gave Him a Noble Heart.
On March 6, 1962,
Frank Joseph, District Director for the Boy Scouts of America, from Grenada,
MS, spoke to about 45
citizens in the Vaiden High School, in hopes of forming a Vaiden Chapter of
the Cub Scouts of America, for boys ages 8 - 10.
Vaiden Coach Jack Hemphill was named Cub Scout Master, assisted by J.W. Eades, Jr., and Coleman Palmertree
as the Organizing Committee. Mrs. Wallace (Bonnie) Welch was named Assistant
Den Mother, with Mrs. Perry Voorhees, Mrs. Jack Hemphill, and Mrs. H.B. Caldwell,
Jr., serving as Den Mothers. 12
boys were registered for the Cub Scouts by their parents: Wayne Tate, Donald
Tate, Robert Fletcher, Bruce Welch, James Grogan, Rickey Welch, Mack Parker,
Dwight Welch, Owens Palmertree, Chris Palmertree, Jim Voorhees, and Brad Stewart.
Winona Times, March 15,
1962, p. 8.
Home Again . . .Page I
Picture Tells A Story . . .Page III
Design and Compilation of all VAIDEN.NET pages Copyright © by Ron Collins. 2007.