(as of 1976)
From the Vaiden Heritage
Highway 51 North,
thriving company was founded in 1946 by W. Berlin Cross. It soon became one of the largest lumber
firms within 100 miles radius and specialized in residence finished
lumber. Faced with advancing age, Mr.
And Mrs. Cross recently disposed of their cooperative interest to the
Russanne Lumber Company of
In 1975, the Cross Lumber Company was the setting for the “country jamboree” scene in the movie “Ode to Billie Joe.”
Though this gin was owned by various parties during the past twenty years, the present owners, M.M. (Sonny) Jones and wife, Rubye Noah Jones, have expanded the operation most successfully. Being located on Highway 51 North, it is easily accessible to surrounding cotton farmers whose business has been invaluable to Vaiden merchants.
The Vaiden Pulpwood Company
Vaiden Pulpwood Company has been a contributing asset to Vaiden’s economy
since July, 1969. Owning its spur
track which connects with downtown Illinois Central Railroad, the company
offers around-the-clock transportation of pulpwood to numerous manufacturers,
but principally to U.S. Plywood Company.
A burgeoning business, owned by William G. Dismukes of
Highway 35, West
Organized in 1972, this rapidly growing manufacturing company now employs 85 workers daily, and is presently the community’s largest industry. The firm produces three major items all of which are in national demand: namely, disposable surgical gowns, commercial table cloths and napkins, and surgical gauze pads. Its management is conducted efficiently by F.C. Lentz, with Mrs. Cecil Welch, office manager.
Vaiden’s Businesses in 1976 (Photos)